People We Love – Anne Trachtenberg

anneFeatured Athlete: Anne Trachtenberg

“I have learned that dedication and perseverance goes hand in hand with triathlon.  There may be times in races when you think that you cannot go any further, but knowing how much hard work and effort went into training allows you to dig deep and overcome what your mind is trying to tell your body.  By training, whether a Sprint or an Ironman, completing your goal race gives you that sense of confidence that you can do anything that you put your mind to.”

About Anne Anne Trachtenberg is a wife and mother of three college-aged, young adults.  She graduated from Cornell University from the School of Hotel Administration and worked in sales and marketing for many years as the Director of Sales at the Syracuse Marriott.  After taking some time off from work Anne decided to pursue a career in real estate.  She is a Realtor for Hunt Real Estate in Manlius and she feels her competitive, goal-oriented personality fits very well with this profession.  Anne has always been involved in athletics and being active is something that she and her husband, Eric, enjoy doing together.  They compete in many of the same events because neither one wants to be left out of training for something fun and exciting.

Why did you take up the sport of triathlon? I have always been involved in athletics.  I was mostly a runner for a long time but was ready to switch from doing just marathons.  I ran the Boston Marathon in 2000, 2002, 2003, and 2010.  I got to the point where just running was too taxing on my body and I needed a little variety.  In 2010 I decided that I was going to compete in my first triathlon and the Syracuse 70.3 happened to be making its debut that September.  I fell in love with the excitement and fun of triathlons and have been hooked ever since.

What other races have you done besides Syracuse 70.3? I have done many sprints and Olympic distance triathlons but my greatest feats to date are racing at the Lake Placid Ironman last summer and qualifying for and competing at the 70.3 Ironman World Championships in Las Vegas last September.

Why did you decide to do Lake Placid Ironman? I was turning 50 and I thought it would be a great goal. Something to cross off my “bucket list” and I wanted to conquer a new adventure.  I decided it was going to be an Ironman, and with my kids all being in college I would now have the time to be able to train.   Anne - IMLP

How were you able to complete the bike leg at Lake Placid just under 6 hours 30 minutes?  How was the swim and the run? I focused a lot on my cycling and took advantage of the hills that Central New York has to offer.  I was fortunate enough to have a few friends to do most of my long rides with me. We got three century rides and many 75-80 mile rides in as part of training.  I logged the miles and rode with very good riders who forced me to ride at a competitive speed. I felt very well trained on the bike.  My swim was average, but I felt good coming out of the water. The 2nd loop of the run was tough but I just kept plugging away. It really helped to have my family in Lake Placid to support me. It really keeps you going knowing they are looking for you at a certain time.  The swimming and running were areas I did not focus on as much in training as I knew how important the bike leg is on that course.  My overall goal at Placid was to go out there and really just have fun and enjoy the moment.  I really could not have asked for a better situation on race day.  Mentally I was having fun and never hit the wall, so I know I was very fortunate.  My nutrition definitely played a big role too. I was well hydrated and ate continuously so my body was properly fueled to endure the 140.6 miles. In the end, I ran a very competitive time for my age group of 12 hours 51 minutes.

What kind of bike do you ride? I just recently made the switch to a triathlon bike and purchased a Trek Speed Concept.  My first bike that I bought was a Trek Women’s Madone 4 series, six years ago.  It was a great investment for my first road bike and it got me through many, many races.

Why did you decide to purchase a tri bike, and why a Trek Speed Concept? When competing in the 70.3 Worlds last fall I noticed I was one of the few without a triathlon bike.  In fact, I only saw one other road bike. Now don’t get me wrong, I love my Madone as I completed many sprints, 70.3’s, and an Ironman on it but I knew it was time to make the switch since I’m going to continue doing triathlons.  To be honest, I was a little nervous to switch to a tri bike as I did not want to risk injury being in a more aggressive position.  When I went to Syracuse Bicycle to start looking at tri bikes I was pretty sure I wanted a Trek Speed Concept. But first I had their Fit Manager David Dow take me through the RETUL 3D Motion Capture Dynamic fit to be sure I was on the right bike. The fit was amazing and I did not realize how important it is to go through a bike fit BEFORE buying a bike.  The process allowed David to make recommendations of the right bike for me based on my body geometry.  The fitting confirmed that a Speed Concept was going to be the best fitting bike for my body type.  Not only did I make the switch to a tri bike, but I learned the importance of going through the bike fitting process that Syracuse Bicycle has to offer.

Have you ridden your Speed Concept yet? I was able to get outside two times since purchasing it but have been limited to the trainer since.  I cannot wait to get out on the road to ride and race this summer!  The bike feels great and it fits me to a tee.

What has triathlon taught you? It has taught me that we are all capable of accomplishing so much more than we realize.  I have learned that dedication and perseverance goes hand in hand with triathlon.  There may be times in races when you think that you cannot go any further, but knowing how much hard work and effort went into training allows you to dig deep and overcome what your mind is trying to tell your body.  By training, whether a Sprint or an Ironman, completing your goal race gives you that sense of confidence that you can do anything that you put your mind to.

Is there any advice that you can give a novice cyclist or triathlete? I would encourage anyone to get into the sport of triathlon.  It is such a fun sport. My main advice would not be to put any pressure on yourself to do a certain time, just get out and enjoy the experience. There are great people competing in these events.  For me, I enjoyed Lake Placid so much because I did not have any specific goal time – no expectations meant I was able to go out there, compete as hard as I could and really enjoy the experience.  If you look at your race day as a ‘great workout day’, everything else will fall into place.

Anne_Family